[openssl-dev] Ubsec and Chil engines

Nikos Mavrogiannopoulos nmav at redhat.com
Tue Feb 23 10:15:23 UTC 2016

On Mon, 2016-02-22 at 15:08 +0100, Jaroslav Imrich wrote:
> On 22 February 2016 at 11:16, Nikos Mavrogiannopoulos <nmav at redhat.co
> m> wrote:
> >  That's an implementation detail. As far as I know engine_pkcs11
> > does not require re-authentication after fork. It handles the
> > pkcs11 peculiarities internally.
> AFAIK this works by caching the PIN in engine_pkcs11 internally and
> is OK for most of the use cases with smartcards. However HSMs usually
> use more complex authentication schemes where this approach does not
> work i.e. in order to login there must be N of M physical
> tokens/cards with passwords presented in a sequence (requires vendor
> specific extensions when used via PKCS#11). CHIL engine already
> handles such schemes very well and does not need to reauthenticate
> after fork.

I find that discussion more suitable to the PKCS #11 working group than
here. It cannot be solved by openssl devevlopers. In any case, I don't
find the solution to any problem in a standardized API is "let's make
our own better API". Why not work towards fixing the PKCS #11 spec?

In any case, there _are_ PKCS #11 modules which continue working after
fork (opendnssec's softhsm for example). So the issue is not something
that cannot be addressed within PKCS #11.

regards,
Nikos