[openssl-project] FW: Certificate fractional time processing in upcoming openssl releases

Salz, Rich rsalz at akamai.com
Sat Aug 11 13:50:07 UTC 2018

FYI.  Quietly ignoring fractional seconds makes sense to me.

From: David McGrew <mcgrew at cisco.com>
Date: Saturday, August 11, 2018 at 9:45 AM
To: Rich Salz <rsalz at akamai.com>, "Barry Fussell (bfussell)" <bfussell at cisco.com>
Cc: "Marty Loy (mloyjr)" <mloyjr at cisco.com>, "Jonathan Felten (jfelten)" <jfelten at cisco.com>, "Bill Sulzen (bsulzen)" bsulzen at cisco.com<mailto:bsulzen at cisco.com>
Subject: Re: Certificate fractional time processing in upcoming openssl releases

Hi Barry and Rich,

Thanks for this.   I think that having the rejection of fractional seconds be part of the “—strict” option makes sense.

As I understand it, there are fielded certs with fractional seconds in GeneralizedTime, which violates the RFC5280 profile but doesn’t introduce any vulnerability.   That RFC aims to promote interoperability by making a profile of X509 formats and semantics, and fractional seconds is only formatting, and not semantics.   So it seems counter to the spirit of the RFC to prevent openSSL from being able to interoperate with certs issued by IAIK or whatever noncompliant systems.

Thanks,

David