[openssl-users] CMS with Symmetric key

Jakob Bohm jb-openssl at wisemo.com
Mon Apr 4 22:42:15 UTC 2016

On 05/04/2016 00:18, Abe Racioppo wrote:
> Hey guys,
>
> I'm trying to use the CMS operations in libcrypto but with a symmetric
> key encryption key instead of x509.
>
> I'm thinking I want to use a combination of
>
> CMS_RecipientInfo_set0_pkey,
> SMIME_write_CMS,
> and
> CMS_EncryptedData_encrypt.
>
> Has anyone done this before and can give me some direction?  This is
> my first time working with openssl and am getting kinda lost.

The "CMS" operations implement the "CMS" standard, formerly
known as PKCS#7, which is based entirely on the use of X.509
certificates.

Unless you can point out a clause in the "CMS" format RFCs
that allow use without X.509 certificates, there is no reason
why the "CMS" part of the OpenSSL library should be able to
any such thing.

Enjoy

Jakob