[openssl-users] What version of OpenSSL source can be built with FIPS modules?

security veteran security.veteran at gmail.com
Tue Jan 19 19:30:37 UTC 2016

Thanks Steve.

I believe the OpenSSL bundled with Ubuntu basically just added some Ubuntu
packaging stuffs such as the package installation scripts, the dependency
information, etc. The main source code should be pretty much the same and
all the patches should still come from the OpenSSL community.

Another option I was thinking was, build the FIPS modules with the openssl
source in Ubuntu package, and then just replace the original Ubuntu
libcrypto.so file with the libcrypto.so which integrated with the FIPS
modules. Ideally this should work, or do you see any possible issues of
doing this way?

Thanks.