Which 1.1.1 config options set OPENSSL_NO_TESTS ?

Matt Caswell matt at openssl.org
Tue May 12 14:01:29 UTC 2020

On 12/05/2020 14:50, Jakob Bohm via openssl-users wrote:
> When running Configure in OpenSSL 1.1.1g with various options, it sometimes
> silently sets OPENSSL_NO_TESTS as reported by "perl configdata.pm -d" .

Looking at the code here:

https://github.com/openssl/openssl/blob/69296e264e58334620f541d09a4e381ee45542d4/Configure#L470-L510

It seems that "no-tests" will happen automatically if you specify
"no-apps". "no-apps" will be automatically turned on by "no-autoalginit".

i.e. these 3:

no-tests
no-apps
no-autoalginit

It strikes me as a bit over-zealous to disable all the tests because the
apps are disabled (quite a few tests use the apps, but quite a few do
not - we could at least run the ones that don't use them).

These option cascades really ought to be documented in INSTALL, but I
can see that they are not.

Matt