Asymetric crypto and OpenSSL 3.0 deprecated functions

Tomas Mraz tmraz at redhat.com
Mon May 25 12:12:09 UTC 2020

On Mon, 2020-05-25 at 13:20 +0200, Emmanuel Deloget wrote:
> Hello everybody,
>
> I'm pretty sure this has already been discussed somewhere but
> grepping
> through the whole openssl-user list does not gave me the answer I'm
> searching for, so here am I.
>
> In my development I'm using a idiom that's not as widely used as I
> thought (as I get it after multiple days of searching out there). In
> order to securely distribute a binary, I encrypt it using an AES key
> and the AES key itself is encrypted using a /private/ RSA key I own.
> Only owners of the /public/ key (which, as it is a publilc key, may
> leak) can decrypt the AES key, and therefore the binary. The reason
> why I do this is that I cannot encrypt using the recipient public key
> because I don't know how many different recipient I have when I
> generate the encrypted binary ; and generate the binary on request is
> not feasible.
>
> With this idiom, recipient can check that I crypted the binary, and
> the binary itself cannot be decrypted unless you're a recipient (i.e.
> you have the public key). This has worked well for a few years.
>
> Of course, in order to do this I rely on RSA_private_encrypt() and
> RSA_public_decrypt() because EVP_PKEY_encrypt() / EVP_PKEY_decrypt()
> cannot be used(*).
>
> So, after that long introduction, here is my question : is there any
> OpenSSL 3.0 sanctionned, EVP_PKEY-based way to crypt using a private
> key and decrypt using a public key?
>
> While I fully understand the need to streamline the library interface
> and to remove the low-level RSA functions, it seems to me that not
> allowing this is going to be problematic for those who, like me, rely
> on public key decryption in their process. I also fully understand
> that it's not the prefered way to do it but I (and some others, I
> guess) deal with a use case which is not ideal here, and the
> possibility to use asymetric crypto in this way really saves me.
>
> Best regards,
>
> -- Emmanuel Deloget
>
> (*) tests on OpenSSL 1.0.2 (Ubuntu 16.04) and OpenSSL 1.1.1c (Ubuntu
> 19.04) shows that it segfaults in EVP_PKEY_decrypt() when feeded with
> a public key. In OpenSSL 3.0, EVP_PKEY_decrypt() does not appear to
> be
> able to decrypt using a RSA public key (it calls
> RSA_private_decrypt()
> internally, via rsa_decrypt()).

The proper protocol would be to just sign the binary by your private
RSA key and encrypt it with a symmetric key, that you directly pre-
distribute to your recipients via the same channel that you now use to
distribute your public RSA key.

It would have practically the same properties and would not use the RSA
private encryption directly.

--
Tomáš Mráz
                                              Turkish proverb