Extended Master secret for TLS 1.3

Manish Patidar mann.patidar at gmail.com
Mon Aug 21 13:16:50 UTC 2023

Thanks Matt and Ben for clarifications on EMS.

I have further question on EMS.
1. For OpenSSL 3.0.8(in FIPS mode), which is FIPS140-2 certified, does EMS
is mandatory extension for TLS1.2 client/server.

As per my testing, it is not a mandatory extension.

2. For OpenSSL 3.1.x, which going for FIPS140-3 certification,  does EMS
will become mandatory extension in FIPS mode ?

Why above question :

RHEL 9.2 have following warning for FIPS mode:
Warning

A RHEL 9.2 and later system running in FIPS mode enforces that any TLS 1.2
connection must use the Extended Master Secret (EMS) extension (RFC 7627)
as requires the FIPS 140-3 standard. Thus, legacy clients not supporting
EMS or TLS 1.3 cannot connect to RHEL 9 servers running in FIPS mode, RHEL
9 clients in FIPS mode cannot connect to servers that support only TLS 1.2
without EMS. See TLS Extension "Extended Master Secret" enforced with Red
Hat Enterprise Linux 9.2 <https://access.redhat.com/solutions/7018256>

For TLSv1. 2 client/server, Does EMS is mandatory for FIPS140-3 certified
crypto module?
Please find the below link for your reference :
https://access.redhat.com/solutions/7018256
https://access.redhat.com/documentation/en-us/red_hat_enterprise_linux/9/html-single/security_hardening/index
RHEL 9.2

Regards