[ech] ECH-PR comments and a question

Stephen Farrell stephen.farrell at cs.tcd.ie
Tue May 21 20:41:49 UTC 2024

Hi all,

I'm finally starting to get some substantive comments on the
ECH-PR, [1] which is great. Please do jump in and send yours!
(The more the merrier from my POV and its easier to make a
set of changes over a short duration rather than have big gaps
between changes.)

One of the comments raised an issue for which I've not yet
figured out a good answer so I wondered if anyone here has any
advice that might help.

What I'd like to do is make a test that injects an ECH extension
into a TLSv1.2 client hello to check that an ECH-enabled (and
configured) server handles that out-of-spec combination correctly.

The code in the PR of course provides no way to emit a TLSv1.2
CH containing an ECH, so what I tried was to create a TLSv1.2
connection and add an ECH via the custom extension handler. But
the code still detected that as there's a check that nobody
adds an extension type that is built-in via the custom exts APIs.

So, for now, I've just #define'd a symbol that when defined omits
that last check and runs the test code. (That's in this commit. [2]).

Question: any ideas for a better way to do this so that the TLSv1.2
session with an ECH-enabled (and configured) server succeeds?

Ta,
S.

[1] https://github.com/openssl/openssl/pull/22938
[2]