[openssl-announce] OpenSSL FIPS Validation 1747 is not being labeled historic

Salz, Rich rsalz at akamai.com
Mon Apr 16 15:25:47 UTC 2018

We have been getting asked about the status of the OpenSSL FIPS 2.0
Validation, Certificate 1747 [1]. In particular, they read the notice
about "symmetric key wrapping"[2] and wondered if OpenSSL would
be moved to the Historical list.

The OpenSSL validation testing was performed by InfoGard Laboratories,
which is now known as UL Verification Services[3]. The program manager
was Marc Ireland. Marc has the same role at UL.  In response to our
question about this, he said the following:
                The transition for that was January 1st, so it would have already
                been moved.  We submitted updated Security Policies late last
                year to avoid it being moved.

We hope this alleviates everyone's concern. We thank Mark Minnoch of
KeyPair Consulting who had earlier posted the same thing[4].

[1] https://csrc.nist.gov/projects/cryptographic-module-validation-program/Certificate/1747
[2] https://csrc.nist.gov/Projects/Cryptographic-Module-Validation-Program/Notices
[3] https://www.ul-ts.com/standards/fips/c-38/c-1863
[4] https://mta.openssl.org/pipermail/openssl-users/2018-March/007668.html