[openssl-dev] [openssl.org #3627] Enhancement request: add more "Protocol" options for SSL_CONF_CTX

Salz, Rich via RT rt at openssl.org
Wed Dec 10 19:40:01 UTC 2014

--
Principal Security Engineer, Akamai Technologies
IM: rsalz at jabber.me Twitter: RichSalz

> You are almost certainly far better qualified to make this decision than most
> administrators.

Not sure who the "you" is.  Me, openssl, or the original poster :)

> Nevertheless, if upgrading OpenSSL from version X to version
> Y causes a ciphersuite (or TLS version) to be dropped into VULNERABLE,
> there are going to be angry phone calls from users whose browser or
> application has stopped working. It is the administrator who is going to get
> those phone calls, not you

I am more concerned about the case where a common crypto type is broken, and zillions (a technical term :) of websites are now at-risk because there wasn't an immediate OpenSSL update that added the broken crypto  to the VULNERABLE list, and everyone didn't update immediately.

Policy and configuration should be on a separate, arguably faster, distribution pattern than code.   Which is why I favor a "profile" mechanism in openssl.conf and not hardwired magic keywords embedded in code.

> So there’s bettercrypto.org and there’s Qualys and there’s this BCP
> document that the UTA working group at the IETF is writing

Perhaps modesty prevented you from posting the link, but it won't stop me (we're both in the acknowledgements section :)
	https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-uta-tls-bcp-07