[openssl-dev] [openssl.org #3627] Enhancement request: add more "Protocol" options for SSL_CONF_CTX

Steffen Nurpmeso via RT rt at openssl.org
Thu Dec 11 12:51:22 UTC 2014

Yoav Nir <ynir.ietf at gmail.com> wrote:
 |> On Dec 9, 2014, at 1:24 PM, Steffen Nurpmeso via RT <rt at openssl.org> \
 |> wrote:
 |> "Salz, Rich" <rsalz at akamai.com> wrote:
 |>|I think magic names -- shorthands -- are a very bad idea. \
 |>
 |> I _completely_ disagree.
 |>
 |>| They are point-in-time statements whose meaning evolves, \
 |>|if not erodes, over time.
 |>
 |> Because i don't think that a normal user, or even normal
 |> administrators and programmers is and are willing or even capable
 |> to understand what they are doing.

 |decision than most administrators. Nevertheless, if upgrading \
 |OpenSSL from version X to version Y causes a ciphersuite (or \
 |TLS version) to be dropped into VULNERABLE, there are going \
 |to be angry phone calls from users whose browser or application \
 |has stopped working. It is the administrator who is going \

Applications don't need to use -VULNERABLE/+SECURE.
Heck, the monster ones have become so intransparent that i have to
place such an enormous trust into them that i only use one,
Firefox, but that does terrible things and there is no knob that
i can toggle wheresoever.  (I've used Opera for over a decade and
am very new to Firefox: i'm pretty sure there is some kind of
registry that experienced users can tweak.  But still: certainly
neither in the Advanced nor the Security Tab.)

_How_ i would appreciate being able to enter -VULNERABLE in some
text field.  And have a nicer and easier exception handling, too.
Can be imagined.

--steffen