[openssl-dev] OpenSSL and certain PEM formats

Kurt Roeckx kurt at roeckx.be
Wed Dec 17 11:34:32 UTC 2014

On Wed, Dec 17, 2014 at 02:37:08AM -0800, Sean Leonard wrote:
> Hi OpenSSL devs:
>
> I am putting the finishing touches on an Internet-Draft for textual
> encodings of security structures
> <http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-josefsson-pkix-textual-09>, which OpenSSL
> refers to as the "PEM format".
>
> While reviewing OpenSSL's behavior, I noticed a few esoteric labels (see
> pem.h):
> #define PEM_STRING_X509_PAIR    "CERTIFICATE PAIR"
>   (note, this is supposed to encapsulate a CertificatePair structure from
> X.509)
> #define PEM_STRING_SSL_SESSION    "SSL SESSION PARAMETERS"
> #define PEM_STRING_PARAMETERS    "PARAMETERS"
>   (note, this label does not have any algorithms in it, so I presume it
> refers to some kind of generic parameter structure)
>
> Do these labels have practical use? I have not seen them in the wild. Why
> are they in OpenSSL? Are they ever used for interchange with other
> implementations, or are they specific to OpenSSL's own purposes?

I know that the ssl session parameters can be read and written by
s_client and sess_id.  It can be used to resume a session.
applications can store the session information in a database or
something like that to later be able to resume the session.  But I
don't think anything uses it without openssl.  It's stored in an
SSL_SESSION_ASN1 which is an internal only structure that can
changed between versions.  Only the version that has written that
should be able to read it.

Kurt