[openssl-dev] OpenSSL and certain PEM formats

Sean Leonard dev+openssl at seantek.com
Wed Dec 17 18:55:47 UTC 2014

On 12/17/2014 8:34 AM, Salz, Rich wrote:
>>> I am putting the finishing touches on an Internet-Draft for textual
>>> encodings of security structures
>>> <http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-josefsson-pkix-textual-09>, which
>>> OpenSSL refers to as the "PEM format".
> Cool.  You know why it's called PEM format, right?  (RFC 1115 et al)
Yes--that is discussed in the I-D. (Which renames it to "textual
encoding", since it's actually not PEM...but I know that "PEM" is
ingrained throughout OpenSSL so I won't advocate to this list to try to
change the term in the software. :-) )

>>> #define PEM_STRING_X509_PAIR    "CERTIFICATE PAIR"
>>>
>>> #define PEM_STRING_SSL_SESSION    "SSL SESSION PARAMETERS"

Ok--so it's clear that these are not intended for interchange. I can
cross them off the list. Thanks!

Sean