[openssl-dev] OpenSSL and certain PEM formats

Sean Leonard dev+openssl at seantek.com
Wed Dec 17 18:56:34 UTC 2014

On 12/17/2014 10:00 AM, Dr. Stephen Henson wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 17, 2014, Sean Leonard wrote:
>
>> #define PEM_STRING_PARAMETERS    "PARAMETERS"
>>    (note, this label does not have any algorithms in it, so I presume
>> it refers to some kind of generic parameter structure)
>>
> It's used internally to indicate to the PEM routines that it should accept any
> kind of algorithm parameters and set up an EVP_PKEY structure appropriately.

Okay--so this one also sounds like it is not meant for interchange. I
can cross this one off the list as well. Thanks!

For reference for the group (in case you didn't take a look at the
draft), the draft documents the following labels:

CERTIFICATE
X509 CRL
CERTIFICATE REQUEST
PKCS7
CMS
PRIVATE KEY
ENCRYPTED PRIVATE KEY
ATTRIBUTE CERTIFICATE
PUBLIC KEY

as well as some other labels like "NEW CERTIFICATE REQUEST" for
compatibility.

Sean