[openssl-dev] We're working on license changes

Matt Caswell matt at openssl.org
Tue Aug 4 18:44:38 UTC 2015

On 04/08/15 18:14, Brian Smith wrote:

> Note that the proposed CLA is granting special privileges to a
> particular **for-profit** US corporation. It isn't technically copyright
> assignment, but is practically the same thing. If you read the agreement
> carefully, it is asking every contributor to give a license to that
> for-profit corporation to re-license contributions however it wants. It
> is unnecessary to do things this way.

This is not correct. The OpenSSL Software Foundation is incorporated in
the state of Delaware as a "nonprofit corporation" that is not conducted
for financial gain. (I should note that it does not have 501(c) status
but that is about tax, not about how we conduct the organisation).

Much has changed over the last year and this is one item that we have
addressed. There *are* some for-profit organisations with an association
to some members of the project. However these have been clearly
separated out.