[openssl-dev] tls_session_secret_cb method return value

Emilia Käsper emilia at openssl.org
Tue Aug 11 10:12:55 UTC 2015

Hi Ian,

Thanks for the report!

Your colleague John Foley suggested to treat this error as unrecoverable:
https://mta.openssl.org/pipermail/openssl-dev/2015-March/001030.html

The error is set while processing the ServerHello, at which point the PAC
has already been sent to the server in the ticket in the ClientHello, and
it's the server's call whether it'll be resuming. So either
(a) we make the assumption that the server would agree that the PAC has
expired and not attempt a resumption - and we make the resumption attempt
an internal error; or
(b) the client-side check for expiration would have to be moved to an
earlier place in the handshake.

I am afraid that you know better than me what the intended behaviour is.
How about you describe the complete correct flow and propose a patch?

Cheers,
Emilia