[openssl-dev] [openssl.org #4003] OpenSSL Bug report / Patch submission - wildcard_match in host verification

Sekwon Choi via RT rt at openssl.org
Tue Aug 11 20:25:53 UTC 2015

Hi Viktor and Kurt,

Thanks for the quick response. I think I agree with you guys. I looked up
hostname RFC again (RFC952 and 1123), not URI RFC, and indeed, '_' and '~'
are not valid character to be used for hostname.

So technically, what openssl is doing is right. What makes tricky is that,
since there are many hostname using '_' in the wild, even libcurl seems not
to check '_' or '~' for hostname's validity.

I think hostname verification with those characters should be handled
outside of openssl context.

Thanks
Sekwon