[openssl-dev] test_ordinals causes make update to fail after make clean

Adam Eijdenberg eijdenberg at google.com
Fri Dec 4 03:05:28 UTC 2015

Hi openssl-dev,

When I'm preparing a patch I've gotten myself used to the following
workflow to try to get my working environment into a sane state:

./config --strict-warnings
make clean
make update
make -j32
make tests

Today I noticed that "make update" is failing with the following error:

/Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/usr/bin/make TESTS=test_ordinals
test
/Users/aeijdenberg/src/openssl/util/opensslwrap.sh: line 25:
/Users/aeijdenberg/src/openssl/util/../apps/openssl: No such file or
directory

Probably not surprising because "make clean" removes apps/openssl.

AFAIK until this commit (
https://github.com/openssl/openssl/commit/0aca86b313d286be979629a3193a12e17bf7171a)
yesterday that calls test_ordinals as part of "make update", prior to that
there were no dependencies on apps/openssl having been built already.

Maybe my workflow is wrong (I derived it mostly from trial and error) - but
I thought I'd bring it up for discussion.

Cheers, Adam