[openssl-dev] test_ordinals causes make update to fail after make clean

Adam Eijdenberg eijdenberg at google.com
Fri Dec 4 15:41:45 UTC 2015

On Thu, Dec 3, 2015 at 9:47 PM Viktor Dukhovni <openssl-users at dukhovni.org>
wrote:

> On Fri, Dec 04, 2015 at 03:05:28AM +0000, Adam Eijdenberg wrote:
>
> > When I'm preparing a patch I've gotten myself used to the following
> > workflow to try to get my working environment into a sane state:
> >
> > ./config --strict-warnings
> > make clean
> > make update
> > make -j32
> > make tests
> >
> > Today I noticed that "make update" is failing with the following error:
> >
> > /Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/usr/bin/make
> TESTS=test_ordinals
> > test
> > /Users/aeijdenberg/src/openssl/util/opensslwrap.sh: line 25:
> > /Users/aeijdenberg/src/openssl/util/../apps/openssl: No such file or
> > directory
>
> Since you're on Darwin, presumably using a 64-bit Intel CPU, have
> you considered instead:
>
>     ./Configure shared darwin64-x86_64-cc
>     make clean
>     make depend
>     make -j32
>     make tests
>
> (note --strict-warnings is a developer option, no guarantee that
> it will work at all times on all platforms).

Hi Viktor,

Yes, I understand it's a developer option, and that there are likely more
appropriate build targets on Darwin, but I don't believe either are related
to the issue that I'm trying to report (which I also get on my Linux
workstation), which is that "make update" now won't work on a cleanly
checked out source tree, whereas it did 2 days ago (before
https://github.com/openssl/openssl/commit/0aca86b313d286be979629a3193a12e17bf7171a
).

Is that expected behavior or not?

(my understanding of "make update" is that it will call all the things I
might need after making changes to the source, such as re-generating error
files, safestack stuff, make depend etc, so it's kind of nice that it works
before the source itself is built)

Cheers, Adam