[openssl-dev] [openssl-team] Discussion: design issue: async and -lpthread

Nico Williams nico at cryptonector.com
Tue Dec 15 19:36:12 UTC 2015

On Tue, Dec 15, 2015 at 07:54:35PM +0100, Kurt Roeckx wrote:
> Also, if you want to use atomics we really want the C11 / C++11
> memory model which prevents certain important optimazations.

Right, because compilers can reorder some operations.  But we've been
living with this pre-C11 for decades.  We can't yet require C11 (though
I'd sure like to).

BTW, there's this:

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/vcblog/archive/2015/05/01/bringing-clang-to-windows.aspx

which, IIUC means we can get C11 on Windows with MSVC with a clang
frontend.  So maybe Windows is a non-issue, and maybe C11 is a
non-issue.  Though I'm sure there's platforms where OpenSSL can't expect
C11 yet, so I suspect we're stuck with C90+ for a while.

Nico