[openssl-dev] openssl pkeyutl unable to use keys on a PKCS11 token?

Blumenthal, Uri - 0553 - MITLL uri at ll.mit.edu
Mon Dec 21 22:15:45 UTC 2015

>>> $ openssl dgst -engine pkcs11 -keyform engine -verify
>> > "pkcs11:object=SIGN%20pubkey;object-type=public" -sha256 -sigopt
>>
>> The current implementation of engine_pkcs11 seems to work with private
>> keys and certificates only. I've added a fix in engine_pkcs11, but it
>> seems that public key types were never tested for PKCS#11 URLs.
>
>Yes, mea culpa. I added the basic PKCS#11 URI parsing, and failed to
>test it with public keys.

Could you please point me at the code that needs fixing?

I’m trying to accomplish two goals:
 - make all (most of?) the openssl commands work with “pkcs11:…” URL;
 - make openssl (through engine_pkcs11) to stop prompting for the PIN to
access public keys.

>I still suspect we should be using p11kit and not reimplementing the
>PKCS#11 URI parsing for ourselves. But really I want the whole engine
>to die and PKCS#11 to be supported as a first-class citizen within
>OpenSSL in crypto/p11/...

In the ideal world - yes. As it is though, I think we'd better get
engine_pkcs11 fixed. ;)