[openssl-dev] [openssl.org #4198] BUG: READ_STATE_MACHINE:excessive message size during handshake

Dave Baggett via RT rt at openssl.org
Wed Dec 23 19:44:59 UTC 2015

Thanks!

Sent with inky<http://inky.com?kme=signature>

"Matt Caswell via RT" <rt at openssl.org> wrote:

On Wed Dec 23 15:42:54 2015, dmb at inky.com wrote:

> Using the current master (head) code, this reproduces it:

> openssl s_client -connect mail.baggett.org:465

> This is my own personal mail server, so feel free to poke and prod it.

Great, thanks. I can reproduce this now.

The problem is that the server has been configured to allow client auth. The

CertificateRequest message coming from the server seems very long (nearly 20k).

This is primarily made up of a long list of acceptable CA names.

The master code has the max size limit for this message as being

SSL3_RT_MAX_PLAIN_LENGTH (16384 bytes). This is the maximum that can be put

into a single TLS record. Previous versions had it set to s->max_cert_list

which is a configurable value that by default is 100k.

The attached patch should resolve this issue (it just reverts the size limit to

what it was before).