[openssl-dev] The evolution of the 'master' branch

Timo Teras timo.teras at iki.fi
Wed Feb 4 06:51:20 UTC 2015

On Tue, 3 Feb 2015 17:02:31 -0500
Rich Salz <rsalz at openssl.org> wrote:

> As we've already said, we are moving to making most OpenSSL data
> structures opaque. We deliberately used a non-specific term. :)
> As of Matt's commit of the other day, this is starting to happen
> now.  We know this will inconvenience people as some applications
> no longer build.  We want to work with maintainers to help them
> migrate, as we head down this path.
>
> We have a wiki page to discuss this effort.  It will eventually
> include tips on migration, application and code updates, and anything
> else the community finds useful.  Please visit:
>
> 	http://wiki.openssl.org/index.php/1.1_API_Changes

Not sure if my questions are already answered. But I'll go ahead and
ask them...

Which structures this includes? I'm thinking application level
extensibility.

If I have a custom cipher implementation, and it requires shipping
EVP_CIPHER (which is basically virtual ops table). Is that planned to
be opaque too? Or it gets a set of accessors?

How would off-tree engine modules be implemented? Or is their
integration possibilities limited?

Or would there be the "public headers" for applications? And than the
"private headers" for version bound extensions that need to access the
internals?

Thanks,
Timo