[openssl-dev] FIPS compliant digital signature

Rex Bloom rex at kalos-inc.com
Wed Feb 4 16:29:12 UTC 2015

Can someone help me understand what type of digital signature I can use for FIPS compliance.

I used this command:

openssl genrsa -aes128 -passout pass:mypassphrase -out privkey.pem 2048

to generate a pem file but when I tried to load this as follows:

RSA *rkey = PEM_read_bio_RSAPrivateKey( bio, 0, 0, (void*)"mypassphrase");

I receive this error

error:060A80A3:digital envelope routines:FIPS_DIGESTINIT:disabled for fips'.

Can you point to anything I am doing wrong here?

The main reason I ask is because if I leave the passphrase off then everything works but obviously that is not ideal !

Thank you,

Rex