[openssl-dev] Seeking feedback on some #ifdef changes

Brian Smith brian at briansmith.org
Wed Feb 11 04:39:33 UTC 2015

On Tue, Feb 10, 2015 at 4:25 PM, Salz, Rich <rsalz at akamai.com> wrote:

>> Please continue to make it possible to build the crypto part of OpenSSL,
>> without the X.509 and SSL/TLS code. There are lots of uses of OpenSSL that
>> don't need that code.
>
> You can build crypto without ssl.  And the only place OPENSSL_NO_X509 appeared was, strangely, in ssl.  So crypto builds, which didn't really pay attention to OPENSLS_NO_x509 before, still don't.  :)

The X.509 code is in crypto, though.

Also, when I've had a use for libssl, I've usually wanted to use an
X.509 library other than OpenSSL's, for a variety of reasons. It would
be useful to remove all of libssl's dependencies on the X.509 code
during the time that the other compatibility-breaking changes are
being made.

Cheers,
Brian