[openssl-dev] Seeking feedback on some #ifdef changes

Cristian Rodríguez crrodriguez at opensuse.org
Tue Jan 27 14:54:00 UTC 2015

El 27/01/15 a las 08:30, Hanno Böck escribió:
> Hello,
>
> On Fri, 23 Jan 2015 19:11:35 +0000
> "Salz, Rich" <rsalz at akamai.com> wrote:
>
>> OPENSSL_NO_BUF_FREELISTS
>
> As far as I remember the post-heartbleed discussions this disables an
> openssl-own memory management which in the case of heartbleed
> circumvented memory protection measures like address sanitizer.
>
> What's the plan here? Replace openssl's own memory management by
> default with "standard" memory management calls or is the plan to
> disable the possibility to have standard memory management at all?
> If the latter I'd vote against removing that flag.

I think It needs be replaced by standard memory managment, whoever wants
to do something special like using a different/tweaked allocator for
whatever reason should use the operating system facilities to do so.

Inordinate amounts of time have been spent improving things at this
level, at least in linux  BUF_FREELISTS functionality makes no sense
whatsover.