[openssl-dev] System openssl header files are used when building openssl itself

Lianghui Chen liachen at blackberry.com
Mon Jul 6 17:49:30 UTC 2015

Hi, all

I am building openssl (master/f66aad6) within my own project in Mac OS X Yosemite, and it get compile error about undefined TLS_SIGALGS, which is defined in ssl/ssl.h, but not in OS version of ssl.h (/Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Platforms/MacOSX.platform/Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.10.sdk/usr/include/openssl/ssl.h). And the reason the system version of ssl.h, instead of the local ssl.h, is used, is because ssl/ssl_locl.h includes <openssl/ssl.h>, instead of just <ssl.h>, or <openssl/ssl/ssl.h>.

I think it is wrong to use a system version of ssl.h when building my own openssl, otherwise if I need to modify ssl.h itself, the local (and modified) version will never be used. Should we move the public headers files into a folder like include/openssl so it is the same with where the system version of openssl header files reside? Or anyone else has encountered this problem and have an easier solution?

Thanks & Best Regards
Lyon