[openssl-dev] [openssl.org #3897] request: add BLAKE2 hash function (let's kill md5sum!)

Zooko Wilcox-OHearn zooko at leastauthority.com
Tue Jun 9 01:07:31 UTC 2015

On Tue, Jun 9, 2015 at 12:57 AM, Salz, Rich <rsalz at akamai.com> wrote:
> So if you're going to replace md5sum... which one should you use?  Which ONE HASH should replace MD5?

I'd suggest blake2sp. It's currently the fastest on my machine, and I
guess that there will often be multiple cores in systems where hash
performance matters (i.e. hashing large files or many files).

But, if for some reason blake2sp is problematic, then any of the other
BLAKE2 variants would also work.

> Or why not just use sha256 and sha512.

It seems like we can get people to migrate off of MD5 by offering them
better performance *and* improved security, but not by offering them
worse performance and improved security.

Regards,

Zooko Wilcox-O'Hearn

Founder, CEO, and Customer Support Rep
https://LeastAuthority.com — Freedom matters.