[openssl-dev] [openssl.org #3897] request: add BLAKE2 hash function (let's kill md5sum!)

Yoav Nir ynir.ietf at gmail.com
Thu Jun 11 08:14:23 UTC 2015

> On Jun 11, 2015, at 2:36 AM, Bill Cox <waywardgeek at google.com> wrote:
>
> BLAKE2 rocks.  I'm looking forward to using it in many applications.

Sure. I would be glad to see that used as a hash in signatures and in TLS, as a PRF in TLS and IKE, etc.

Does anyone know what the status of draft-saarinen-blake2 is?  If that progresses we can propose things like TLS_ECDHE_EdDSA_WITH_CHACHA20_POLY1305_BLAKE2[*] or PRF_BLAKE2.

Yoav

[*] I think we should call that ciphersuite “Suite-C” with ‘C’ standing for civilian, because this is a whole bunch of algorithms, none of which came from the government of the (pseudo-)military.