[openssl-dev] Self-initialization of locking/threadid callbacks and auto-detection of features

Nico Williams nico at cryptonector.com
Mon Jun 15 18:53:43 UTC 2015

On Mon, Jun 15, 2015 at 06:19:49PM +0000, Salz, Rich wrote:
> My overall goal is that I want to remove the thread callback stuff.

Excellent.

> Ideally we have two options: no threads and system-threads.

Presumably that would be either a configure-time option or a run-time
automatic option, but not an option given to the caller via an API.

> It seems that on Linux shared/static libraries might be an issue.  I
> hope we can resolve and simplify that.

With weak symbols this problem can go away, but when linking statically
it does make the order of dependencies matter in the final link edit.
It'd have to be -lpthread -lcrypto -lssl; -lpthread could not come after
OpenSSL; the strong symbol definition has to come first.

Nico