[openssl-dev] [openssl.org #3922] Bug: EVP_get_digestbynid() does not support ECDSA

David von Oheimb via RT rt at openssl.org
Mon Jun 22 20:07:43 UTC 2015

Hi OpenSSL maintainers,

I tried checking the status of the EVP_get_digestbynid issue via
http://rt.openssl.org/Install/index.html
but the server appears currently misconfigured:
> Config file /etc/request-tracker4/RT_SiteConfig.pm is locked

Yet I found an old conversation on this topic:
http://openssl.6102.n7.nabble.com/Question-about-EVP-get-digestbynid-and-ECDSA-td28312.html

With OpenSSL 1.0.2 one still gets NULL when giving ECDSA NIDs as input.
Here is the workaround we currently use for EC support in CMPforOpenSSL:

> const EVP_MD *extended_EVP_get_digestbynid(int nid) {
> 	  switch (nid) {
> 	  case  NID_ecdsa_with_SHA1:
> 	      return EVP_sha1();
> 	  case  NID_ecdsa_with_SHA224:
> 	      return EVP_sha224();
> 	  case  NID_ecdsa_with_SHA256:
> 	      return EVP_sha256();
> 	  case  NID_ecdsa_with_SHA384:
> 	      return EVP_sha384();
> 	  case  NID_ecdsa_with_SHA512:
> 	      return EVP_sha512();
> 	  default:
> 	      return EVP_get_digestbynid(nid);
> 	}
> }

I just commented on this issue also at
https://sourceforge.net/p/cmpforopenssl/bugs/14/

Regards,
	David

--
|  Dr. David von Oheimb        Senior Key Expert Research Scientist    |