[openssl-dev] A new openssl engine

Matt Caswell matt at openssl.org
Thu Jun 25 15:34:34 UTC 2015

On 25/06/15 16:26, Alexander Gostrer wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> Sorry for a wide distribution. I am in a process of writing an OpenSSL
> engine to support my client hardware. The client requested to publish
> the code on the openssl.org <http://openssl.org> site. What are openssl
> criterions for publishing new engines/adding new features? Is there a
> document or a person who can help to understand the process?

Patches can be submitted by sending an email to rt at openssl.org. Either
attach the patch to the email, or provide a reference to a github pull
request.

Whether such a patch would be accepted though is an entirely different
thing. Personally I would prefer new engines to be maintained outside of
the OpenSSL tree. Inclusion in the OpenSSL tree implies that the OpenSSL
dev team will support the code. That becomes very difficult/impossible
if we do not have access to the hardware.