[openssl-dev] [openssl.org #3732] Does OpenSSL construe expired certs as reason to downgrade?

Richard C Paterson via RT rt at openssl.org
Fri Mar 6 15:03:43 UTC 2015

Hi,

Our certificates expired recently, and our application log contained the following error:
“SSL3_GET_BYTES:sslv3 alert handshake failure”

>From what I can see, this message is a valid error message indicating that SSLv3 is not supported by the server.
My question is, why are we seeing this message in this situation? Does OpenSSL construe certificate expiry as a reason to downgrade to SSLv3?

Richard C Paterson
Development Testing Manager
SAS R&D Scotland
Tel: +44 141 223 9100 ■ Mobile: +447977 477296 ■ richard.c.paterson at sas.com<mailto:richard.c.paterson at sas.com>
www.sas.com<http://www.sas.com/>
SAS®...  THE POWER TO KNOW

The information in this e-mail and any attached files is confidential. It is intended solely for the use of the addressee. Any unauthorised disclosure or use is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient of the message, please notify the sender immediately and do not disclose the contents to any other person, use it for any purpose, or store or copy the information in any medium. The views of the author may not necessarily reflect those of the company.