[openssl-dev] [openssl.org #3735] [bug] Openssl transitive dependency to libexplain (minor)

Randall S. Becker via RT rt at openssl.org
Sat Mar 7 18:52:36 UTC 2015

>> On March 7, 2015 1:34 PM Richard Moore via RT [mailto:rt at openssl.org] wrote:
> On 7 March 2015 at 18:11, Randall S. Becker via RT <rt at openssl.org> wrote:
> > > On March 7, 2015 1:02 PM Richard Moore via RT
> > > [mailto:rt at openssl.org]

> > embedded in
> > > tardy.
> > > >

> > > This sounds purely a packaging issue with debian and nothing to do
> > > with openssl itself.
> >
> > Tardy is referenced in the openssl Makefile tar rule, which is there
> > the dependency manifests.
> >
> >         $(TAR) $(TARFLAGS) --files-from ../$(TARFILE).list -cvf - | \
> >         tardy --user_number=0  --user_name=openssl \
> >               --group_number=0 --group_name=openssl \
> >               --prefix=openssl-$(VERSION) - |\
> >         gzip --best >../$(TARFILE).gz; \
> >

> Surely you build your packages from the release tar balls? That means that this
> rule is never used.

We are building from git, as it is how we apply our platform patches. Support was recently dropped for Tandem/NonStop, so we have little choice here, other than hand-patching, which is not sustainable.

Aside, I am just trying to bring an awareness to potential unsupported product dependency. Nothing more.