[openssl-dev] Write PEM to char*

Viktor Dukhovni openssl-users at dukhovni.org
Sun Mar 15 05:51:36 UTC 2015

On Sun, Mar 15, 2015 at 10:16:25AM +0530, dE wrote:

> I was wondering if there are ways by which you can get a PEM encoded
> certificate stored into a char* from a X509 structure.
>
> I got a lot of ways to write it to FILE, but nothing appears to return a
> char*.

Use a memory BIO and PEM_write_bio_X509().

In memory the DER representation is generally more useful than PEM.
The only plausible reason that comes to mind for using PEM in memory
is for a UI that allows users to copy/paste PEM format certificates.

Do you really need PEM?  Or might i2d_X509() be a better interface
for your real needs (serializing X509 data).

--
	Viktor.