[openssl-dev] On SSLv23_method() drop and TLS_method() introduction

Steffen Nurpmeso sdaoden at yandex.com
Tue May 19 15:28:43 UTC 2015

Hello,
i've just read on the Lynx list about compilation error because of
a missing SSLv23_method() and indeed [1] says it is deprecated and
a new TLS_client_method() is to be used instead.  Now i've
searched on Gmane but i couldn't find just any word.  (Let's just
hope that there will be TLS v1.4, .5...)  So well, now i've
updated [master] and see indeed commit [32ec415] stating

  Also, SSLv23_method and SSLv23_server_method have been replaced
  with TLS_method and TLS_server_method respectively. The old
  SSLv23* names still exist as macros pointing at the new name,
  although they are deprecated.

Looking at the diff it seems that OPENSSL_USE_DEPRECATED is
required to get the names.

  [1] https://www.openssl.org/docs/ssl/SSL_CTX_new.html

Since my last v1.1.0 compile check was against an installation
(got and) made on March 19th with OPENSSL_VERSION_NUMBER EQ
0x10100000L i would like to know how i can code my software to be
(also future) compatible with OpenSSL.
I would ask on @users but are no longer subscribed there.  (Also
i think this is such a drastic change that it is worth a note
here.)
Can someone please shed any light on this, please?
Thank you!

--steffen