[openssl-dev] [openssl.org #3851] bug report; error:1408F119:SSL routines:SSL3_GET_RECORD:decryption failed or bad record mac

Andy Polyakov via RT rt at openssl.org
Sun May 24 19:59:04 UTC 2015

> I ran some more tests, the issue seems to be optimization not platform types...

If non-matching platform config happens to work, it's a party trick, not
support matter.

> when I removed -xO[n] from CFLAG, something (either cc or openssl compile set up) turned back on optimization at -xO3 level and I got this warning " cc: Warning: Optimizer level changed from 0 to 3 to support dependence based transformations."
>
> Since while using cc I was unable to force stop optimization, I used gcc and edited Makefile to remove optimization flag. It compiled with no alteration to optimization and the problem went away.

As it appears to be compiler problem, the case is being dismissed as
non-OpenSSL issue. But one could still point out that it likely means
that compiler is not cared for in sense that it's not like Sun compiler
is known to be pathologically/inherently broken, bugs do get fixed and
it wouldn't be surprising if latest compiler patch/revision works.