[openssl-dev] [openssl.org #3795] OS X is using LD_LIBRARY_PATH, and not DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH in Master

Andy Polyakov via RT rt at openssl.org
Mon May 25 14:13:49 UTC 2015

Hi,

> I'm working with Master on OS X. I tried to add a build configuration
> of Clang and its sanitizers. I think I got the Darwin and OS X
> specific stuff included in the CONF file (see below).
>
> During link, it appears LD_LIBRARY_PATH is used rather than
> DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH. On OS X, DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH should be used. See
> https://developer.apple.com/library/mac/documentation/Darwin/Reference/ManPages/man1/dyld.1.html.

Formally you contradict yourself :-) Indeed, you first assert that
LD_LIBRARY_PATH is *used* and then refer to page that says that it's
*not* *used* :-) But jokes aside. Question is not actually which
variable is set, but what effect does any specific one have. And answer
in this case is none. Then next question is what is it that doesn't
work. Yes, one can argue that setting variable that has no effect is not
elegant, but it doesn't answer the question. But before you answer it,
you should argue in favour of omitting MacOS X-specific lflags and
shared_* flags (might be unused in this particular case), see
darwin-common template. And what prevents you from specifying
-fsanitize=this-n-that as additional argument to Configure
darwin64-x64_64-cc?