[openssl-dev] [openssl.org #3791] Problems configuring for OSX 10.8.5 (x86_64)

Andy Polyakov via RT rt at openssl.org
Mon May 25 15:40:07 UTC 2015

> This issue has kind of been with the project for so long its just kind
> of accepted....
>
> But its 2015 and all Apple hardware is x86_64. Its been that way for
> quite a few years. Also, there's really no reason to (1) default to
> darwin-i386 and (2) not recognize darwin-x86_64.
>
> I suggest that darwin-x86_64 become the default, and configure to
> recognize darwin-x86_64.
>
> **********
>
> $ ./config darwin-x86_64

Since when did it work to pass something like that to ./config? You must
mean ./Configure <platform>, no? Then x86_64 Darwin is supported, but as
darwin64-x86_64-cc. Or do you mean that you find "64" in "darwin64"
objectionable? Then you probably should say that, not suggest examples
that never worked...

But defaulting to 64-bit is rather sensible. I note that 'uname -p'
seems to return x86_64 now, unlike earlier i386. Yes, even on 64-bit
systems, which can also be detected by examining sysctl -n
hw.optional.x86_64. Do you have idea when it changed? In your opinion is
it sensible to use it to determine default?