[openssl-dev] [openssl.org #4120] CertificateStatus message is optional

David Benjamin via RT rt at openssl.org
Tue Nov 3 02:09:49 UTC 2015

It seems unlikely I'll be getting around to doing another newsletter, but
while I'm reporting bugs, here's another that came to mind:

RFC 6066 is somewhat obnoxious and allows the server to decline to send
CertificateStatus even after negotiating the extension.

   Note that a server MAY also choose not to send a "CertificateStatus"
   message, even if has received a "status_request" extension in the
   client hello message and has sent a "status_request" extension in the
   server hello message.

OpenSSL fails the handshake when the message is omitted. We had a report of
an incompatibility because of this. I think it turned out IIS would
negotiate certificate_status, send the ServerHello, and later try to find
an OCSP response to staple. If it failed to do so, it would send no
CertificateStatus.

See also: https://crbug.com/478947

David