[openssl-dev] Removing obsolete crypto from OpenSSL 1.1 - seeking feedback

Richard Levitte levitte at openssl.org
Sun Nov 15 12:11:37 UTC 2015

In message <564846E4.4060403 at artisanlogiciel.net> on Sun, 15 Nov 2015 09:48:36 +0100, pl <pl at artisanlogiciel.net> said:

pl> On 14/11/2015 18:32, Viktor Dukhovni wrote:
pl> > The proposed list was:
pl> >
pl> >     CAST
pl> >     IDEA
pl> >     MDC2
pl> >     MD2 [ already disabled by default ]
pl> >     RC5 [ already disabled by default ]
pl> >     RIPEMD
pl> >     SEED
pl> >     WHIRLPOOL
pl> >     ALL BINARY ELLIPTIC CURVES
pl> >
pl> > If I were to guess, it would be that the base crypto implementations
pl> > of IDEA, SEED and binary elliptic curves need to stay.  We could
pl> > perhaps get away with removing CAST and RIPEMD.  No idea about the
pl> > rest.
pl> >
pl>
pl> It is perhaps time to split crypto library in two libraries
pl> libcryptolegacy and libcryptostrong...
pl>
pl> My two cents.

I though could be to make a "legacy" engine that holds the removed
crypto algos.  It could be maintained outside of mainstream OpenSSL,
really by anyone...

Cheers,
Richard

Richard Levitte         levitte at openssl.org