[openssl-dev] Fwd: Re: [openssl-users] Removing obsolete crypto from OpenSSL 1.1 - seeking feedback

Peter Waltenberg pwalten at au1.ibm.com
Tue Nov 17 22:11:40 UTC 2015

> This is an interesting idea. For completeness, it has failed in other
contexts

Well yes but it's a different context. Policy level rather than capability,
That's why I'm not in favour of removing algorithms, even changing policy
higher up the stack can cause problems, but removing basic capabilities
tends to have even unwanted side effects. I obviously have a personal
interest in this, in my case it's because I work for a company that does
provide insane support lifetimes for products.

For libcrypto itself the attack surface is near zero, it doesn't open
sockets, connect to networks, accept input. It's simply a toolbox and
there's always something else between libcrypto and an attack, if SSL
doesn't want to use MD5, well don't use MD5 but there are other users of
the toolbox. As an analogy throwing out all those 3/8th spanners just
because you've officially gone metric doesn't always work that well in
practice either.

Peter

 Phone: 61-7-5552-4016                                             L11 & L7 Seabank
 E-mail: pwalten at au1.ibm.com                                    Southport, QLD 4215
                                                                          Australia