[openssl-dev] [openssl.org #4145] Enhancement: patch to support s_client -starttls http

William A. Rowe Jr. via RT rt at openssl.org
Tue Nov 17 23:26:21 UTC 2015

RFC 2817 defines upgrading HTTP/1.1 to TLS (or SSL).

Because Apache httpd supports Connection: Upgrade and Upgrade: TLS/1.x I've
gone ahead and instrumented s_client to support this behavior (and noted a
small optimization in the same logic stream for starttls support).

Attached is the patch to introduce this behavior.  It is a bit crufty, but
lacking a CUPS client that did connection upgrade to TLS, I needed
something for testing and experimentation.

I don't know that there is a justification for implementing Upgrade: h2
since this is a binary protocol that is not conducive to terminal mode :)

Source licensed by me under the OpenSSL license at
https://www.openssl.org/source/license.txt - don't see a need for a CLA,
but email me privately if so.