[openssl-dev] We're working on license changes

Quanah Gibson-Mount quanah at zimbra.com
Sat Nov 21 02:21:38 UTC 2015

--On Friday, November 20, 2015 9:28 PM +0000 Jonathan Larmour
<jifl at eCosCentric.com> wrote:
> So a dual license still seems desirable to me.
>
> However, also, and as I said when this came up before, I don't believe the
> OpenSSL team is legally permitted to change the license as they do not
> hold the entire copyright. To change the licence, you need a copyright
> assignment or Contributor License Agreement from every individual or
> company who has contributed code to OpenSSL. You cannot change the terms
> of something you do not own. That is admittedly a significant hurdle to
> any change.

Perhaps contributors, when approached by OpenSSL, can simly say they will
not release their rights unless the project adopts a truly open license in
the spirit of the original BSD style license minus the advertising clause.

--Quanah

--

Quanah Gibson-Mount
Platform Architect