[openssl-dev] We're working on license changes

Kurt Roeckx kurt at roeckx.be
Sat Nov 21 21:14:37 UTC 2015

On Sat, Nov 21, 2015 at 12:02:22PM -0800, Quanah Gibson-Mount wrote:
> --On Saturday, November 21, 2015 8:24 PM +0100 Kurt Roeckx <kurt at roeckx.be>
> wrote:
> >>So the MPLv2 is compatible with the APLv2.  The MPLv2 is compatible with
> >>the GPLv2 and the APLv2 is copmatible with GPLv3.  The MPLv2 has patent
> >>language along the same lines as the APLv2.  I haven't looked into it
> >>and I am not a lawyer, but would it be possible to dual license via the
> >>MPLv2 and the APLv2?  If so, that would keep the patent protections and
> >>allow both GPLv2 and GPLv3 compatibility.
> >
> >I think the answer to that is complicated.  The safest way to look
> >at this, at what most people seem to be doing, is that if it all
> >ends up in 1 "program", all licenses must be complied with at the
> >same time and so must be compatible.
>
> That's an interesting take I've not encountered.  Our legal office has us
> elect specifically which license we will be using when pulling in software
> with multiple licenses.

I think there was a misunderstanding of what I was trying to say.
If you have software A with license B or C, and software D makes
use of that with license E or F.  If that in turn makes use of G
with license H or I, you will need to find a combination of
(B || C) && (E || F) && (H || I) where you have 3 license that are
compatible, not just 2 from (B || C) && (E || F), and then 2 from

I hope that makes it more clear.

Kurt