[openssl-dev] [openssl.org #4144] patch: Use '__sun' instead of 'sun' for strict ISO conforming, compiler/options

Andy Polyakov via RT rt at openssl.org
Sun Nov 22 14:12:45 UTC 2015

>> In other words I argue in favour of reverting suggested change in
>> 1.0.1/2. Because I can't find evidence that __sun is defined on said
>> platform.
>>

> FWIW, the generally accepted and documented platform tests include:
>>  #ifdef __sun
>>  /* this is SunOS */
>>  #endif

I understand and appreciate this. But the point is that original
conditions are supposed to work on platform that predates the moment the
referred way became generally accepted. Once again, it either has to
work with old compiler, or support for old compiler has to be disclaimed
and code removed. Consider this. Do all SunOS 4 compilers define __sun?
No. Do all of them define sun? Yes, they have to, because system headers
depend on it. In worst case it probably should be sun || __sun, but sun
alone is sufficient. For SunOS 4 that is.