[openssl-dev] [openssl.org #4144] patch: Use '__sun' instead of 'sun' for strict ISO conforming, compiler/options

Richard PALO via RT rt at openssl.org
Sun Nov 22 15:29:29 UTC 2015

Le 22/11/15 15:42, Andy Polyakov via RT a écrit :
>> FWIW, the generally accepted and documented platform tests include:
>>>  #ifdef __sun
>>>  /* this is SunOS */
>>>  #endif
>
> By the way, was it *actually* tested on SunOS 4? And if so, when and
> with which compiler? Is it possible that it simply was harmonized at
> some point with "we have double-underscore everywhere, don't we"
> rationale, without actual test on SunOS 4? And this way became kind of
> an urban legend? Well, I'm not actually asserting that I myself have
> possibility to test something on SunOS 4 now, but I have copy of system
> headers and see what did gcc 2.95 define...

Well, I admit I only checked back to gcc3... I did notice the following though:
https://sourceforge.net/p/predef/wiki/OperatingSystems/
> #if defined(sun) || defined(__sun)
> # if defined(__SVR4) || defined(__svr4__)
> /* Solaris */
> # else
> /* SunOS */
> # endif
> #endif

that is, if supporting that far back is indeed a goal, then *both* should be checked. Naturally that should be acceptable to most anybody concerned.

cheers

--
Richard PALO