[openssl-dev] [openssl.org #4157] Download Documentation

U.Mutlu for-gmane at mutluit.com
Sat Nov 28 03:55:19 UTC 2015

Tom Jay via RT wrote on 11/27/2015 02:39 PM:
> Hello,
>
> Why is there no meaningul documentation on the OpenSSL download page? Why,
> if I'm building a SSL-enabled webserver, do I need to spend so much time on
> OpenSSL specifically? Why do the other tasks, of which there are many, not
> requires as much time as OpenSSL to compile, install and use, despite being
> equally complex? Could you imagine having to spend as much time on
> everything, that you do on OpenSSL, just to get it working?
>
> Useful steps would be as follows:
>
> 1. Provide meaningful documentation on the download page. Some kind of
> explanations of the versioning system would be useful, other than me trying
> to guess what the best version for me to download and install is. 2. Provde
> a summary of the installation steps. Something like Apache would be useful,
> where they just give you basic steps to get you up and running. 3. Some
> kind of useful examples of common usages of OpenSSL would be appreciated.
> I'm still trawling through the documentation trying to figure out how to do
> what I want to do and am relying heaving on 3rd party guides to figure out
> what I want to do.
>
> Thanks!
>
> Tom

http://www.openssl.org/source/
"When building a release for the first time, please make sure to look at the
README and INSTALL files in the distribution. If you have problems, look at
the FAQ, which can also be found online."

FAQ:
http://www.openssl.org/docs/faq.html

Manpages:
http://www.openssl.org/docs/manmaster/

Or if you have the man pages installed locally --> see 'man openssl',
'man evp', 'man bio' etc. and the SEE ALSO references on those pages.

On linux desktops it is easier/recommended to use the prebuilt version
from the linux distribution (ie. via package management like on Debian:
apt-get install libcrypto++-dev libcrypto++-doc libcrypto++-utils openssl )

--
U.Mutlu