[openssl-dev] [openssl.org #4067] Bug - Header files in include folder differ for different extractiing methods

Chen, Feng via RT rt at openssl.org
Thu Oct 1 20:41:46 UTC 2015

Hi OpenSSL,

I downloaded OpenSSL 1.0.0s.tar.gz and extracted files using following three ways. The header files in "openssl 1.0.0s\include\openssl" folder are different.
I am working on Windows 7 Enterprise 64-bits with Service Pack 1.

1. Use Cygwin (version 1.7.25) command "tar xvf"
    All header files have type "C/C++ Header" and size 1KB. The contents look like:
!<symlink>ÿþ. . / . . / c r y p t o / a e s / a e s . h

   But those symlinks DO NOT work on Windows.

2. Highlight the tar.gz file, click right mouse, select "Extract Files"
    All header files are of "SYMLINK" type and 0KB. The symbolic link works fine. Whenever I opened it in text editor or displayed it in Command windows, the actual file is displayed.

3. Download and Install 7-zip program from www.7-zip.org, then use "Open Archive" to open tar.gz, then right click the tar file and open, drag the folder to Desktop
    All header files are real header files, not symbolic links.

Is this a bug in packaging? What is the expected results on Windows?

Thanks,

Feng Chen