[openssl-dev] who wants to fix travis builds?

Alessandro Ghedini alessandro at ghedini.me
Mon Oct 5 22:28:05 UTC 2015

On Wed, Sep 30, 2015 at 10:48:01am +0200, Andy Polyakov wrote:

> >> Can you test and figure out? As implied, currently new 'make
> >> test' doesn't work with 'wine' yet, but you can replace 'make
> >> test' with e.g. test/sha1test.exe alone. Just to figure out if it
> >> works. It might happen that it's not sufficient to simply install
> >> package, one might have to perform per-user config prior Win32
> >> .exes can be executed.
> >
> > It works!!! Well, sort of. It requires 3 patches [0] (including the
> > changes to the Travis CI config) and there are 3 or so tests that
> > fail (see log at [1]), but it's basically doable.
> >
> > Cheers
> >
> > [0] https://github.com/ghedo/openssl/commits/mingwci [1]
> > https://travis-ci.org/ghedo/openssl/jobs/82727489
>
> Thanks! I'm looking into it. On related note, you might notice a
> number of mingw warnings addressed in master. I just want to say that
> even more will be, i.e. it's work in progress.

So, I just opened a new pull request to:

- Fix a clang warning in the bn_dh.c file
- Fix a gcc bogus warning in the packettest.c file
- Revert the -d flag back to --debug in the travis script to make mingw debug
  builds run again
- Use -Wno-pedantic-ms-format with mingw to silence the ms-format warnings
- Mark mingw debug builds as "allowed failures" for the time being, until all
  the warnings have been fixed.

I don't know if any of you have already provided patches for any of this
internally, so just ignore any patch I proposed that duplicates other work.

With all the above patches applied, the Travis CI status for the master branch
turned green for the first time in a while [0]. I think this is pretty
important, since even though none of the current failures are very important,
they could potentially hide more severe failures in the future. So, could
someone please have a look at my patches?

I'm going to look into the failures of other branches as well, but that will
probably involve just disabling various builds that are just not supported
(e.g. clang and mingw debug).

I'm also working into adding support for newer compilers like gcc-5 and
clang-3.8. This could allow us to build with address sanitizer and other
niceties.

On a somewhat related note, I've noticed that the Travis failure messages are
not actually sent to the mailing list. I suspect that this is due to some kind
of filtering the mailing list does. Could the Travis messages be whitelisted or
something? Or maybe just add a new "openssl-ci" mailing list dedicated to this?

Cheers

[0] https://travis-ci.org/openssl/openssl/builds/83787204